Learning a foreign language is not hard; what is hard is to use what has been learned, that’s, to practice it. In other words, the rules of a foreign language can be taught by everybody, what is important is make students practice what they have learned. The basic of this is the knowledge, the wealth of skills and experience of the teachers and students’ willingness. Since the establishment of Kültür High School, the primary target has been to make the foreign language a communication tool. Kültür High School has competent and experienced teachers to be able to realize this target.
The life styles of the foreign language speakers, the reasons for speaking the language and how they could learn the language are all discussed in the classes and practice opportunities are created for daily usages. Cultural awareness and functionality are attached to the importance. In addition to the standard methods applied in the foreign languages education, other examples used in everyday life, in art, in the world of business and education, media, science and literature are also demonstrated. It is presented to the students taking into account different functions of foreign languages usage, different grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation features and shapes.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Text and materials of different levels and variety are used.
- The subjects are consolidated through class activities.
- The ability to use the foreign language is consolidated through special and different projects.
- Student-centered methods are used in order to develop the ability to speak the foreign language and role-playing, discussions, group work, pair work, and work stations are applied.
- In order to observe the development of our students objectively, Cambridge Tests are used.
- They practice reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
- They can establish links with other sciences.
- They can see cause-and-effect relationships in the studies.
- They understand the importance of taking responsibility in foreign language education.
- They are self-confident so, they have the ability to make contacts.
- They gain cultural awareness.
- They stay at the mediums where they can practice what they have learned.
THE AIMS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- They have general information about the countries, the formal or mother tongue of which is English/German.
- They have information about the music, art, literature, fashion, traditions, religion, national and religious holidays, etc. of the countries stated in the books - India, America, England, Africa, etc.- and they have the chance to compare them with their own countries.
- They have information about well-known writers and read their books.
- They read fictional contemporary poetry (related to the theme of the book or play), contemporary plays, novels written in English by authors belonging to different cultures, Greek / Roman and Latin America fables and letters written on various subjects. As for the non-fiction types, they read articles containing social and economic issues, essays, biographies and autobiographies.
- They can recognize and use the spelling types and properties. They can take part in the panels and discussions carried out in English.